What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Hope Springs Eternal 2: Puzzle Solving


And actually, I did solve it myself, although I did have to check to see where to go next a few times.

I must have replayed this only a few years ago. I remember almost all of it, so I was able to just zoom through the whole thing rather easily. I even remembered the ending about halfway through, although that, of course, isn't really why we play. The Carol Reed plots aren't really the driving forces behind these games. We want the gameplay.

I remembered so much about it that I was able to do almost all the puzzles myself--even the infamous (to me, anyway) fuse box puzzle.


Ha ha. Just seeing it here won't help you!

Although it did involved some traipsing back and forth, as usual, for once I was able to figure out what to do with the fuses, and even pretty much what to do with the broken cable.

Hint: you have to remember where you've seen some helpful items, and go back for them. That at least does break the tradition of Carol picking up things before she knows she needs them.

I will confess that I wrote in my old Time Stand Still review for Four Fat Chicks (now relocated to TAP) that the Nyqvists needed to allow players to finish the games--but I think that may have been one where they just laid out the whole solution for the players. This one was fine, although some serious deus ex machina comes in the form of a suddenly delivered--out of nowhere--incriminating letter at just the right time. Ah--did I say the plots really don't matter.

They really don't much, except to keep the gameplay going.

So! That was Hope Springs Eternal! Next is the one I reviewed. However, more Kirkus books arrive tomorrow and I've only got two weeks to get 'em done.

Number three will have to wait, most likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment