What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Friday, May 17, 2013

Oakhaven 3: Don't Go into that Puzzle Unarmed



Oops. In this easiest of all games I made a serious boo-boo. I went to the herb garden and didn't pay any attention to the descriptions of the plants. I also didn't read the book in the library on herbal teas. But I did pick a mint and put it in my teacup, and I put that teacup up with the other teacups, and that produced a puzzle that you can't get out of and for which I had not at all prepared. (Update: yes, you can get out of puzzles easily. Just right click. The puzzle will pick up where you left off when you return to it.)

It's a really easy puzzle--as long as you've done your homework. Absent that, you're not gonna solve it without research.

Somehow I managed to minimize the game, opened another, did my homework in that one and went back to the original. Solved the puzzle easily. (Update: Of course, none of this was at all necessary, had I only right clicked.)

But by doing this I learned that the tab key does not solve the puzzle for you in this game, as it did in Cliffhouse. I really thought I was seriously stuck. However, I just kept hitting keys until the game minimized. Whew.

So you can get stuck in Oakhaven Plantation. Moral: combining inventory items with onscreen items produces puzzles. Save your game before you do that in case you have to crash. (Update: this statement is completely wrong, but it shows you what you miss when you don't try simple things.)

Anyway, I also did that portrait puzzle up in the attic, and took the boat ride out into the swamp. It's really quite a nice swamp, and you find this nice house in it:


The abode of the swamp witch. Beware!

This is where you get your Tarot cards read. I saved a special game there, as I had on my original Oakhaven copy, so I could have fun going back anytime to play Ouija board or Tarot cards. It's quite nice. You can play them as often as you like.

Went back to Daphne's room, she slept, apparently, and it is now the morning of the next day. I saved there, and will go back to being Dominic when I feel like it.

(I finished a massive Kirkus book today, so I'm ahead there. I can relax tonight.)

Next Entry


No comments:

Post a Comment