What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Friday, October 17, 2014

Dracula Orgins 6: Well that was . . . Different


Actually Dracula is better looking than the above kitty cat, but that pic seemed relevant to the game.

I didn't even try to figure out the stupid complex puzzle. Honestly, I don't know how anyone is supposed to figure that out. So I just found out the method you have to use. The puzzle appears to be randomized but it's easy once you know how it works.

After that I faced two more ridiculously obscure puzzles. One is a math puzzle that yields the number to a combination lock, and the next wants you to apply the clue that I did find on my own, and figured out on my own, except that the clue is so obscure it would take a freaking miracle to get the thing right. Hint: the clue only applies to the middle of the puzzle. With that information you might be able to get it, but the puzzle still has too many moving parts to make the thing work with just the one obscure clue that you get inside the game.

OK. Quibbles. Those three puzzles are too obscure. The rest of the stuff was fun. Here, for example, is the crypt, in which we have things to do and to collect:

Clues are here

After this we get to the great hall, which has lots of interesting stuff in it, but again, the clues here are so darned obscure that I honestly cannot understand how the game designers expected anybody to figure it out. Nice room, though:

Nice room. Big.

Once we get through the puzzles, we can get into Dracula's real lair, where we'll find more good stuff. And it's kinda red, too, like the bedroom in London:

More good stuff in here

And now we get to the endgame! Once you get in, you have everything you need to solve it. Just hunt around, not forgetting to use the space bar, and the endgame gives you a really nice cutscene.

But wait. There's another cutscene just after that. Yes, you won the game, but the final ending may not be what you expect! I really liked that! Intriguing and . . . different.

So, except for a few too-obscure puzzles with not enough clues (that difficulty could have been alleviated by giving us more clues), this was a really immersive puzzle adventure game. Good story, well executed, excellent artwork, fine voice acting, for the most part very good puzzles, and even some unexpected humor.

It was good! Well worth the time. Just be sure you have a good walkthrough available, unless you enjoy frustration. Yeah, Dracula done quite well indeed. I had lotsa fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment