What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Friday, October 31, 2014

Scratches 3: Playing on Halloween




Well I had to play a little bit of this horror game on Halloween! Didn't play long though. Yep. Too scary, even though nothing's happened yet. 

I got the two items I'd missed earlier and did more exploring. That's the scary part--going into new rooms when you don't know what might jump out at you. Now, of course I know nothing's going to jump out at me this early in the game, but the atmosphere is just creepy enough to be worrying. I must assume that our author is writing horror, or he wouldn't want to work in this setting. Alone.

I explored upstairs, including the tower. In that I was able to open a window. Then I found a door that I ought to be able to unlock. I have the tool I need to poke the key out of the lock on the other side of the door, but apparently the piece of paper I've already got in my inventory doesn't work there. Maybe I can pick up another piece of paper from my desk in the blue bedroom. 

I also found a room with a sort of camp stove in it. It's quite apparent that's what the matches work on, but it's too early to fire the thing up. When I tried to light it, the dialogue said I didn't have anything to burn yet. 

Messy rooms upstairs, left in mid-construction decades ago. Really depressing. Might as well be in a Carol Reed game, without the sunshine. Of course, it all adds to the atmosphere in this game.

I wandered around outside and found the greenhouse, the chapel and the crypt, all locked. No doubt I'll be able to get into all of them eventually (I seem to remember that the greenhouse is important). That appears to be the extent of the grounds, although the video WT also located a garage. I did find that earlier, so I'll have to explore that next time.

No screenshots on this post, because the WT hasn't gone to the places I went tonight. I've still barely begun the game. I think the next task is going to be trying to get into that third-floor room. 

I do remember bits of this place, especially the rooms upstairs. However, I can't remember even a little bit of the story, so this really is like playing for the first time. 

See? Adventures most certainly are replayable! 

No comments:

Post a Comment