What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Scratches 2: Setting the Stage


Just did a bit of exploring in the house, and got into the reading. There's alotta reading in this game. That is one of the things that I don't usually mind (well, it sure ain't literature) but puts many people off adventure games. Really slows down the action, having to spend 15 minutes reading somebody's decades-old journal, which generally is written in teensy handwriting that is difficult to decipher in the first place.

I gotta say, though, that even though I played this game years ago, I can't remember it at all. Yeah, some of the stuff looks familiar, but so far it's like a new game to me. I open doors worried that something might jump out at me. I do not want to go into the dark alone.

I have pretty much roamed the house. I've been upstairs (except the third floor) and looked in all the bedrooms, one of which is mine. I've found objects, such as matches and a stethoscope and a rag and a pen, plus telephone numbers that were in my own luggage. OK.

And I have read and read an read. Here's what I mean about a long journal:

Difficult to read and goes on for pages and pages

So I know that one of the previous inhabitants went to South Africa and encountered a mysterious tribe that literally tore one of its own people apart in some sort of ceremony involving masks.

Plus, I have found a room full of African artifacts, including three masks. Ooooo. There was intimidating African-sounding music in that room. Don't have a screenshot just yet because it hasn't come up in the YouTube walkthrough I'm using for screenshots (I've learned that I missed getting a couple of useful items from that walkthrough. Have to go back next time and fetch 'em.)

The rest of the place just looks awfully run down. The wallpaper in "my" bedroom is really awful (yes, even worse than the stuff Carol Reed put up in her living room). One wonders how anyone could sleep in it, except that at least it's blue. 

Could anyone really sleep in here?

One fun thing in the reading was the back cover of the book the main character (us) has written. He's at this place trying to finish his second book. The write-up on on the back of the bestselling first book is all about Fetch Rock. I love it when games make these little references to other games. Jonathan Boakes does a voiceover in this game, which was released a couple of years after the release of his second Darkfall game about the lighthouse on Fetch Rock. Nice.

A reference to Darkfall 2: Lights Out

So I also explored the kitchen (wherein I missed getting a necessary knife). But I found the servant's room with the camera equipment, and the door to the basement. Of course, we know that, as in all horror games, we're really going to get into the horror in the basement. We know that because the door to the basement is currently locked:

Locked. Of course it is.

I went outside for a bit but decided to stick to the house for the present. I'll go outside and look around when I find a reason to do it.  Next time I have to go get those two items I missed (one in the study and the knife in the kitchen), and take a look at the third floor. Maybe I'll call "Jerry" again too, or perhaps my secretary, as I have their numbers now.

So I'm set up to go! Next session ought to get me into the real Act One of the game. 



No comments:

Post a Comment