What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Profound Red 2: Fitting the Pieces Together


I have at last realized why it only takes me two or three sessions to finish a Carol Reed game. First, it's fun to just keep playing. Second, I use the in-game hint system a lot.

I think it's just fine to use the hints, because frankly, these games send you back and forth to various locations to find always just one (1) obscure inventory item, and it would be nearly impossible to search the entire game for that elusive piece. It rarely makes any sense at all. Carol finds stuff in extremely odd places and picks them up for apparently no reason. Later, we need just exactly that item! So, use the hint system. Even then, sometimes it's still tough to find the thingy.

Mikeal went back to derelict, rundown places with a vengeance this time. It seemed as though about a third of the game took place in abandoned factories and houses. Search every nook and cranny for stuff.

But also we get to go through plenty of peoples' apartments and houses, and I always enjoy that. These clearly are real places, and I'm enough of a voyeur to enjoy seeing how people live. I especially enjoy seeing the kitchens (well, I like to cook). At least all of the apartments weren't seriously messy this time.

We did get some nice shots of nature, which I always enjoy as well.

A nice Swedish stream

And there was a bit of nostalgia in this game. We got to go back to the herb garden, where we first met Jonas in Game One of the series, Remedy.

The old herb garden, where it is difficult to find stuff

That was twelve years ago, and Jonas has aged a bit, but he still looks pretty good to me!

Jonas always helps!

And, we return to the library, where we haven't been for some time!

It's always only for computer use, though!

I am curious, however, why we never get to use Carol's computer at home. Surely it is as capable of doing internet searches as the library's computers? Well, it gets us out of the house, and that's always good.

And of course, we meet our old friend Bigge, who provides comic relief in every game.

He really must have fun doing these!

I could write of the plot, but the plots are essentially the same in these games. They give us the rationale for exploring and finding things, and that's a fun thing to do.

This game is a bit x-rated, however, with the "Adam and Eve Club," which according to the credits, is a real place. Nice of them to let Mikeal photograph the place for the game! (And by the way, we never did use one of the items we found in the place. Carol did have a funny comment about it, though, which probably is why we pick it up.)

So, another fun Carol Reed game completed in two playing sessions! But I buy the new game every year because I know exactly what I'm getting, and I know I'll enjoy it.

These games won't appeal to everyone, but they do appeal to me! They're not especially difficult because of the in-game hint system. Without the hints, they'd be darned near impossible, so don't be shy, use the hints!

And I especially enjoy seeing the shots of Norrköping at night, which we usually get at the end of the games. No exception this time.

Looks like a really nice place to live!

So enjoy your Carol Reed games! And may Mikeal continue making them!

No comments:

Post a Comment