What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Saturday, August 25, 2018

Shivers 3a: Jigsaw and Ixupi Hunting


Things are moving along nicely now, although I'm running into an issue that I never encountered before. True, I've had ixupis that resisted being caught, and ran away when I presented them with their supposedly irresistible pots, but the wax ixupi not only ran way, it grabbed my completed pot and hid it somewhere and bit me!

Fortunately I had saved first. I'm thinking that there's a basic order in which you have to catch them. We all know that the ash is first, and I have that:


You can tell it's worried

But the next jar and lid I got was wax, and that one did as I described. So I just put the completed wax jar away in the workshop. If the same thing happens with more ixupis, I'll store their jars the same way and go back to get them later. 

There's always a choice in this game whether to hunt the ixupis as you go along, or save them all up and get 'em in the end. I'm pretty sure the game difficulty is randomized, and I may have a tough one. OK. I'll deal with it.

I did some nice puzzles. I looked up the clock tower one because it makes me hate the game every time I try it. I also looked up the Chinese Checkers solution because I'll never get that right as long as I live.


This puzzle is infamous.


However, I did the Sumerian lyre all on my own. Well, it's pretty easy. It's just a randomized follow the leader. Write down the numbers of the strings as you go along and follow it. Make sure you hit the correct strings and don't hit them twice. 

Much more difficult is the jigsaw puzzle on the Mayan red door. You can do the game without solving it--it just opens a door that makes it much easier to get around. The first time I tried it the thing stumped me. I decided to look up a YouTube walkthrough and found the puzzle, but I was able to stay ahead of the video and solved it more quickly on my own.

Here's a partial solution. Don't look at it if you don't want to, but you won't get much of a hint from it, except possibly where to start:


Not easy, even with this.

Then there is the skulls puzzle, which you find in a desk in the lobby. The museum brochure tells you what colors to set these skulls all over the museum. I've got five of the six so far. Can't remember what they do once you've got 'em finished.


Turn, and see colors.

One of my favorite little puzzles is the Anansi spider music box. Actually it isn't much of a puzzle. You just set the tune up in the clock tower, and that plays when you turn it on. If it's the right tune, you get the reward. I like it because I like the little tune so much. And yes, you can come back and play it anytime you like.


The little music box. Nice tune. Nice spider.

I still have some significant places to go: I have to do the maze that starts in the Mysteries of the Deep room, and I have to solve that knights and horses painting puzzle so I can get into another major area. 

So that will happen tomorrow! 

Next entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment