What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Monday, November 13, 2017

GK1 Original 2: Stuff is Barely Visible!


Zooming right along in the original game, but the pixilation does make things more difficult than in the remake. The game is absolutely playable, but wow, it's tough to see some of the items! Plus, a few things are in different places. I knew already that the tweezers and magnifying glass were in a different spot, but the sketch book, which Grace gives to Gabriel as almost the first act in the remake, is now is Granny's attic (and yes, we do visit Granny on the first day). When I got to the crime scene I realized I needed it and didn't have it. Had to check the WT to find out where the thing was.

The mime puzzle was easier here. In the remake you have to be sure the mime doesn't get attracted by the other people he follows. Either I avoided that this time on the first try, or once Gabriel has his attention, he doesn't leave. 


Plus, the mime does more mime stuff in this version


Also, in the police station we don't get Mosley's badge on the first day--actually it may be that we don't talk with Mosely on the first day in the remake, so that might be the difference. You can't change the thermostat on the first day. However, I did get the photocopies of the veve patterns.

The cemetary still looks pretty similar, but again, wow, you have to know that's a brick on the ground. It's just a smudge of red in this pixilated version.


The markings are pretty obvious though

It's taking quite a long time to play this because you have to spend so much time in conversations. That's fine with me! I get to enjoy Tim Curry's performance. Plus, we have Mark Hamil as Mosely, and Michael Dorn as Dr. John, who also doesn't show up on Day 1 in this version.

On Day 1, there's a temp in the Voodoo Museum. Plus, I couldn't find the flyer for Moonbeam. The crime scene looks pretty similar, but how players ever found those snake scales is a really good question. They are far from obvious, although there is a small clue if you know you're looking for something. Gawd, the pixel hunting must have been outrageous. There's no hitting the space bar for hotspots.

At least the pattern is visible. Can you find the snake markings?


So there are some fairly major differences, and the need for a remake of this game was clear. 

Hoping I'll be able to get through a couple of days tomorrow! 

It's still fun though, if only for Curry's performance!

No comments:

Post a Comment