What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Gabriel Knight 1-3: Progress! Progress!


Oh fun! I have completed Day 2! This is real progress. I'm really glad I decided to play this game, finally. I actually remember quite a bit, but not the details, so it really is like playing for the first time. 

For example, I knew I was supposed to steal something from Mosely, but couldn't remember what. Once I got it I was able to figure out what to do with it.

However, I'm not impressed with the save-game system. Yes, you can save games, but when you return you only get the option to "Return to Checkpoint," whatever that is. When I got back to the game today I had returned to the Voodoo Museum, but the game put me back into the museum when I entered it, and had wiped out everything I had done in it the other day, including the whole long conversation with the proprietor. Not cool. However, now I know that happens, so in the future I'll be sure to exit whatever area I'm in before I want to save. (Update: Or, just choose "load game" from the menu instead of "continue from checkpoint." Sheesh.)

Had to do the whole conversation again


I managed to get through all the stuff in the police station, including copying the files, but I confess that I looked that up. I remember doing it in the past but couldn't remember how to get the policewoman out of the way so I could use the copy machine. Stupid, because I had already found the clue to that.

I'm looking up stuff when I've already done an area, just to see if I missed anything. Have found a few things, which is why I'm not frustrated. But it's just enough. I have figured out this game twice in the past. This time I'm just enjoying the nostalgia and having fun.

Had a nice talk with Malia Geddes, and that went well.

Nice room!

Also figured out a couple of puzzles in Jackson Square--this one with a little tap-dancing kid and with an artist. Also, I noticed a really nice feature of the screen art. In the bookstore, you get a nice effect of dust motes floating in the light streaming through the windows. It's a bit of animation. Not noticeable unless you do notice it!

Dust Motes


And I got a nice shot of one of Gabriel's nightmares, the same one he has after we trigger the end of the first two days at least.

As I recall, this is a Knight ancestor

So far it seems as though this game has eliminated the scenes with Gabe's grandma. I know that was nearly the first place he went in the original game, and her house isn't even on the map. Too bad, because there was a devious clock puzzle in her attic!

Still, I'm having fun! I got though an entire "day" today, and look forward to more tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment