What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Avernum Escape: 6



Aahhh. Now that was a satisfying little play period.


I visited Motrax, but I'm going to need the dispel barrier spell before I can loot his hoard. But it was indeed lovely to meet dear Motrax again. I always liked Motrax, and he's happy in this game. And, he has his two cats, Delta and Episilon. Several cats wander around the Nephilim fort too (well, they would).


I tried to get the slith fort on the island, but I'm not strong enough for that yet (well, I might be now!). So I wandered north, and found the Nephilim fort with the magic necklace Formello's mayor wants. That's really necessary, because it gets us a crown token so we can get to the Great Cave and into the Castle.


A satisfying fight, too. By this time I was stronger than your average Nephilim, and I made short work of most of them. This was a lovely raid on a full fort, with plenty of loot (already spent--gad, the spells are expensive!). There were a few bosses, but nobody too terribly tough.


I'm amazed to see that we get the group haste spell this early. Normally you have to work quite a while for that one. And alas, we don't have dispel spirit anymore. However, we do have a nice ranged spell, call storm. But I'm sorry to lose dispel spirit. Coulda used it.


I also did the Ancient Crypt, and found the heal spell, but I didn't have enough arcane lore to understand it. I've built that up now, so I'll have to remember to go back. That's unusual, for me to find a book I can't read in this game.  I blame the new spell system.


So much of this is familiar. I'm sure I played Avernum 1 at least twice. Some things are different, though, and you never know when you'll encounter one. The secret buttons really aren't that tough to see, as long as you remember to look for them.


So! I'm content.


(A side note: I have managed to get the ancient DOS game, Realms of the Haunting, to run on the Thinkpad. Couldn't get sound at first, but I found a good website that explained how to do it. I don't have any idea what sound card I have on that little machine, but the site said to try a configuration that was common. Installing these old games isn't automatic as it is now. You have to choose your sound card. I had to trash and then reinstall the game, but the second choice it gave me was the right one! Yay! So I'll have to play that sometime soon. Supposed to be one of the scariest games every made. Lots to look forward to!)


Next Post

No comments:

Post a Comment