What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Baldur's Gate 12: Spiders and Lizards and Ghouls, Oh My!



Well I had lotsa fun today!! First I got into an area where there are giant spiders. These are Emerald's "racial enemy," so I thought she'd do well against them. And she did, until we hit the wraith spiders and their extremely poisonous brethren.

They kept getting me. Finally I skirted their area and managed to draw them out one at a time. I could handle that, with Neera and Imoen's magic. I spit a grease spell at them and it really slowed one of 'em down. Lotsa points for getting those.

After that I finally found the basilisk area, and these really did me in for awhile. Had to check the FAQ for strategy. I wound up getting anti-petrifications spells on all my party, and then I met a friendly, wandering ghoul who joined me for a time. He really helped keep a couple of basilisks away until I could get 'em one by one. Fortunately I bought a couple of stone-to-flesh scrolls, and I needed one, because despite Kivan's anti-petrification spell, he got petrified anyway. This was after I'd managed to kill all the basilisks and the mage (who had some nifty loot on him--including the "stinking cloud" spell, a good one). So I used one of the stone-to-flesh scrolls on him. Had to ask him to rejoin the party.

Those basilisks give great experience points. Imoen got up to level four mage--she's starting to get some decent spells. I may take Neera's wizardry ring and give it to her when she hits level five. Imoen is more reliable, although Neera does provide plenty of entertainment. Plus, she has the Knock spell, and I used it tonight to get a sling+1, since Imoen has lost her thief abilities for quite awhile yet. Once I've got Imoen up to snuff as a mage I may dump Neera for another fighter/thief. There are recruitable characters later in the game, so we'll see what comes up. I'll need one with a good alignment, though.

Still, it's quite nice having two mages and a druid. Jahiera's getting some decent spells, finally. (She gets them automatically as she levels up--you don't have to hunt for scrolls with her.)

As a nice treat I discovered a halfling village, with nice round houses just like hobbits. 


Halfling House with a hint

Finally after all this excitement I made my way back to Beregorst. I have discovered the area for both the Firewine Bridge and Durlag's Tower, but I believe these are for later in the game. I think I ought to finish the bandit quest and see if I can get to Chapter Four.

So I'm making real progress! I was almost afraid to start playing again after spending a week or so away with my Kirkus books, but I'm back to full speed now!

No comments:

Post a Comment