What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Baldur's Gate 16: Plans for Tomorrow



Finally got my reputation back to 20. I used the Google machine to find out what reputation rewards were still available in the game. Found another one just south of Nashkell--a bunch of kobolds were bothering a cow. I also got two points back for cleaning out the Cloakwood Mines. That got me up to 15.

Then it turned out that the first quest in Baldur's Gate gave me another two points. The Google machine had told me that I'd need an angel skin ring for another one, so before I went to the city I bought one back from a merchant. And bingo, right there in the Flaming Fist headquarters, right after I'd got my two points for the Seven Sins headquarters quest, there was a guy wanting the ring. So, another point and I'm back to 18.

Then I had a choice. I ran into to more of the quests right next to each other. The first was a difficult choice and I probably made the wrong one. A character wanted me to find her magical gauntlets. I searched everywhere and finally found them. I could have donated to a temple for the price of the things, no doubt, but I wanted that rep point and all my characters already have gauntlets, so I gave 'em back and got the point.

The last point was also fun. A diseased fella wanted me to find a skull in the Three Kegs Inn and give it to the Lady temple. Problem was, where was the inn? At least I got into all the rest of the city, but I finally found it, and it turns out to be the nicest inn in the city, so far. I easily found the skull, and got my final rep point back. 

Hence down to High Hedge and I finally bought Imoen her Robes of the Good Mage. Also stashed stuff in the barrel at Kagian's shop.

Then I did one more quest in BG, retrieving a body from the Water Queen's temple. There I met the little girl I had helped outside the BG bridge. She brought me the body, but was not nice. Not nice at all. Hmm.

I made one mistake. Upstairs at the Sorcerer's shop I got into a fight with three mages and they killed Ajantis. Now, I could have just picked up Ajantis's stuff and got him resurrected at a temple, but at the time I didn't know where any temples were in BG. So I loaded a quicksave and avoided the fight. Should have fought them again though, because they had good loot. I did, however, manage to pickpocket a nifty cloak from the store's proprietor--the first pickpocket Coran has managed. It's another charisma cloak, which I'm going to need, because it turns out these charisma cloak have charges, so you use them up eventually. My original one only has one charge left. (Hmm. I should sell that and get a protection cloak instead--and I know who sells one, and I'm freaking rich now.)

Now I think I'll go back south and finally do Durlag's Tower. My party is up to level six with a few at seven. Imoen only has about 10,000 points to go to get her thief abilities back.

However, I'm glad I dumped Kivan for Coran. Coran isn't much of a fighter but he's a great archer, which is what I mainly used Kivan for anyway. Plus, Coran has 100% lock-picking abilities. I've only found one door I can't open, so I'll need the knock spell for that. But I've been able to loot a lotta houses in BG, and I was able to get massive loot from the Cloakwood Mines because of that ability. (I would have had to sleep all the time in those mines to keep the knock ability charged, then sleep again to get offensive spells--and you just can't sleep very often in a hostile dungeon, as I found out by trying. So without that 100% ability I would have missed out on massive loot.) I've got his detect traps ability up to 49% and that seems to be enough if I remember to quicksave lots. Once Imoen gets her abilities back, she's got 100% trap detection. All I'll need is to bump the pickpocket abilities of them and I'll have it all!

One thing I'm missing though. Thieves have a backstab ability. I've yet to figure out how that works.

So, on to Durlag's Tower!

Update: Or not. The FAQ says to wait until Chapter Six for Durlag's Tower. So, I'll just keep doing quests in the city. I've still got that clean-out-the-sewers quest from Scar. I'll do that.

And, there's plenty more to do in the city!


No comments:

Post a Comment