What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Baldur's Gate 15: Won the Coakwood Mines!


Ha ha! I have conquered the Cloakwood Mines and have advanced to Chapter Five! I am taking over the world!

This was no small feat. First, you've got five levels of the Cloakwood Forest to get through, and a few of those fights are fairly epic. You don't have to do them, of course, to beat the game--not everything is in the plot line--but you get experience, loot, money and sometimes reputation for doing all this stuff. Plus, hey, I want to play the whole game, not just parts of it! (Although no doubt I have missed a few things. You always do. But that's why they're replayable!)

I defeated giant spiders in a giant web. I got the Spider's Bane sword, which I gave to Emerald, who already has spiders as her "racial enemy." That ought to give her complete domination over the pests, giant, magical or otherwise (well, they're all giant in this game). Plus, after vanquishing one nasty wizard I got Boots of the Cheetah. These I put on Emerald because she didn't have boots. This gives her double speed, and she is now just blowing enemies to teensy bits with little trouble. It's an amazing advance. The only problem is that she walks way ahead of the rest of the party. I'm going to have to watch that.

Ha. I almost missed those boots and a couple of other good items. I thought I'd looted a buncha bodies I dispatched in the Cloakwood Fort, but missed the mother lode. Fortunately Emerald looked again, and found the goodies.

The Cloakwood Mines were just a whole lotta fun, until I got to the Boss on Level Four. I was able to rest a few times. Plus, I gave Imoen the Wizard Ring. Not sure that was a good idea. I think I'll have to give it back, because Neera seems to have more spells with it than Imoen does. Plus, Neera has hit level seven, but I've been giving all the new spells to Imoen. This leaves Neera a bit bereft of spells that she ought to be able to cast now. I'm beginning to see that I won't be able to get rid of her after all. She knows too much. Fortunately, I have access to the city of Baldur's Gate now, so I can buy all the spells I want.

The mine was really fairly easy, especially with Emerald's speed. She's my strongest character. I could have her in the lead now, but I just can't stand the lines she says. I like Ajantis's lines and voice, so he's staying there. However, I've got to get down to High Hedge and buy that Good Mage Robe for Imoen. I've got over 30,000 coins now and jumped my rep back up to 15 (it was 20, humph. I still think I lost all those points because I stayed away from the city for too long. People forgot who I was. There's just no other reason for the reputation hit).

I have to admit that the Boss Mage on Level Four almost defeated me. I had to think ahead. The FAQ says to just hammer him with melee hits, and with Emerald's new prowess in that area, once I got rid (somehow) of his mirror image, it was pretty easy. Before the fight I loaded up on potions of magic resistance, and invulnerability, and strength on all my characters, with the magic users casting good shields on themselves. That finally worked. They guy couldn't touch me, and somehow I missed all the traps (or, they didn't hurt me because I was too strong with all the buffs). Anyway, that was a nice puzzle to solve.

So I got two rep points and plenty of loot out of that venture. Earlier I also did a few areas to the south. Finished the Firewine Bridge. Actually, there was almost no loot there, but lotsa traps, as the FAQ said. It wasn't too difficult. 

I'm resting in the royal suite at the Friendly Arms Inn with it's great music.

Inside the Friendly Arms Inn. Do not get caught doing damage here.

Now it's time for the city of Baldur's Gate! At last! Till tomorrow!

So I am satisfied tonight. Golly, but this game is fun. This really is the best game ever made. No doubt.


No comments:

Post a Comment