What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Avernum Crystal Souls 11: Clearing up Old Missions


So, back in Avernum, I traveled to the Castle, but still haven't done enough to get a higher clearance. Well, at this point in the game I've just got to find the appropriately easyish areas to build up my strength and might. I haven't found the portal guy yet, so I have to traipse around the landscape rather than teleporting from town to town.

Now that I have the Ritual of Sanctification, and it works, I decided just to go back to Formello and finish up that peevish quest. Along the way I stopped in Mertis and Silvar and Fort Duvno. Plenty of quests to do, one of which is the spiral cave with the undead. I think I'll try that next, as it's in an area that ought to be easy enough to do. After that there are slith brigands and an Empire fort on an island. Those, I think, are probably going to be at a higher difficulty level.

But, I have Divine Fire now. The problem is that I finally ran out of money. I've taken to selling some of the magical items I'm not using. But I need to raid somewhere to store up the loot. There are good spells I can't afford. 

Once I get my spellcasters up to the max in their spells, I'll concentrate giving them some battle skills so they can get battle disciplines. These are quite nice, and the final one, if I recall correctly, is adrenaline rush--you get three attacks in one turn. Nifty for devastating attack spells! But you have to get battle skills to acquire those.

I finally got Maximillian and Aldous up to the blade sweep discipline. In that one you hit all the enemies in a small area with one swoop. Doesn't take 'em out, but it weakens 'em a bit.

I'm finding some nifty items, but I haven't yet ventured into the Honeycomb. That is the maze-like section near Mertis, full of twisty little tunnels, all alike. (Not really--but it's a bit of a challenge to navigate.) There's a brigand fort in there somewhere and I have a mission to knock it out. Plus there is a secret Empire fort in the valley between the Castle and the Tower of Magi. The prize there is a "grey pass" and I remember that area. It's a toughie and can be really frustrating. Full of different levels with monsters firing at you all the time. Then when you get to the top it's a real challenge. The only fight in Avernum I really don't like, and it's in most of the games.

I can't remember the old Avernum 2 game all that much. This one is the rewrite. Jeff certainly has remade the Castle and the Tower of Magi, and basically all the towns. Some folks I remember, so I doubt the script has changed all that much, but it's mostly new to me now!

So tomorrow I will go back to the Tower, but I'll spend time in the Cotra-Silvar area and see what I can accomplish there.

Then we'll see what happens next!


No comments:

Post a Comment