What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Avernum Crystal Souls 17: FINALLY got Dispel Barrier!


Finally! At last I managed to find the Empire General and kill him, so I could get the spell Dispel Barrier as a reward. Interestingly, they don't charge you much for the first and second levels of it. I knew where the third level was, and went there. Took me awhile to find the secret button to get into the hidden area and find the spell book, but once there, aha! Lovely reading!

The fight in the fort wasn't really that tough. Clearly, I was meant to get this just a bit earlier. However, first thing, I went to the spiral pit to clear that out, and it's quite obvious that this one is a higher level quest. Interesting, because the spiral pit used to be one of the earlier, easier quests. And you can get through it earlier, but until you have Dispel Barrier at level three, you can't get into the boss fight. That one is pretty good.

Anyway. What a relief. I putzed around looking for the right fort, and cleared out the black cube, which was much easier. I also found the cave with the lich, but I decided to go back for that. My main reason for playing tonight was to get Dispel Barrier.

And, I went back to the Tower of Magi and sought out "X," who finally taught me the last three mage spells. Sheesh. Finally I've got all the mage spells.

But I'm still missing the last three priest spells. Actually, I think I might be able to get those in Dharmon, now that I'm at a higher level. I'm in the upper 20s now. I did get some good and fairly cheap  archery training from a band of Nephils that like me because I healed their friends. It's especially smart to buy combat skills for your spellcasters. You don't want to use up too many of their skill points on combat, but they need some combat to get battle disciplines. Best to just buy those. Once I've paid for three more spells, I can spend my money on skill training. It would be lovely to get everybody up to "Adrenaline Rush," which gives you three hits for one turn.

I'm also starting to accumulate some pretty nice gear. Everybody's got a named sword, and I found some great boots at the Spiral Pit. I'm noticing that this time, the better swords and stuff aren't always the highest priced ones. I figure if they give you magical stuff, such as 3 points to Quick Action, that's better than a higher level hit.

There are still plenty of things to do. I've got to rescue two more Crystal Souls. I've got to get the Onyx Scepter, the Orb of Thralni, Demonslayer (a sword that does extra damage to demons, and btw, to certain individuals who might have some demon blood) and the Blessed Athame (don't even have the quest for that one yet). Haven't been through the Waterfall Warren yet, although I found it tonight.

I also went to Erika's Tower, which required a huge fight. The Empire is trying to take the tower, but Erika has massive traps for them to traverse. Sadly, we have to traverse them as well, and it ain't easy. Now that I've made it to her chamber, however, I can use the portal to come back.

And after all that, she wouldn't teach me any spells! So I got 'em from "X."

But my next playing session will be backtracking: going over known territory, looking for barriers to dispel. Along the way maybe I can clear up some more minor quests. Probably I'll find some chests and doors I couldn't unlock earlier. I always try to do ALL the quests, and find ALL the stuff (if possible, usually isn't) and do all three major endings. I want to play the whole game, not just part of it.

So. Lots of doubling back next time. Might take a couple of days, actually. Well, it always did take me a good three weeks to play these games, and that was with playing virtually full time. I'm only getting a couple of hours a day, if that, this time. 

Oh. One other thing. I was lurking around on the Spiderweb Forum today and learned that you can put items straight into the junk bag by control-clicking. I've been playing these games for years, and I never knew that. What a timesaver!

Lots of fun ahead! 

Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment