What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Friday, May 22, 2015

Avernum Crystal Souls 12: Punching out some Bosses



So I'm moving along. I'd guess I'm about a third of the way throughout the game. I'm at about level 21, I've got my spellcasters at full strength, although they don't have the higher level spells yet.

Spent some time doing the early quests in the upper gallery, for Silvar and the like. Got the Nepharim easily, and the hidden sliths.  The Nepharim boss is fun because he keeps teleporting away. But, he goes down pretty easily. The Slith hidden fort and boss are better. You get a really good pole weapon from the Slith boss, which Maximillian is still using. Plus, there I found a neato puzzle. You have to find a way to get across some magical runes to get to a boat to get to an island in the middle of the fort. I was able to figure it out by looking at the interior map the game gives you. On it are exclamation points, and if you hover your mouse over those, you get a description of what the point of interest might be. However, once I got to the island, nothing much was there. I looked at the forum, and found that there's a quest I haven't got yet.

Getting there was kinda fun. I was pretty strong by the time I tackled this place, so the fights weren't difficult. However, there is more to the area than just the fights. You go upstairs and encounter some tougher beasts, such as a drake. (I've now collected about 12 fine leathers, all of which come from beasts like these. You use those to craft magical apparel, although you also need focusing crystals, which are harder to find.) Anyhoo, there was some variety in that.

Sadly, I'm going to have to do two things pretty soon: go back to Formello and meet Solberg, and I think, the mage who runs the portal system. I'm getting tired of trekking all around by foot. I want to zoom through portals. Also, I've got the quest to get the dispel barrier spell--always the most difficult spell to acquire, and the most useful. Lots of stuff is hidden behind magical barriers. I've already encountered about three of them I can't get through until I get this spell. 

I fought my way through the spiral cave near Mertis. Not difficult until you get to a fight where banshees and the like attack you. I got killed once, then had to really think my way through it. (Mainly, I buffed up before I got into position for the fight.) But you can't destroy the magic until you get to the center of the spiral, and there's a barrier there that the piercing crystals won't destroy. Hence, I need dispel barrier. This is the only thing you need to take notes on in this game: where are the places you need to return to.

So I've done quite a few quests and have achieved Mage Clearance status. That gets me into lots more places that I couldn't access earlier. I think it'll get me into Solberg's tower.

However, the next major fight is for that dispel barrier spell. I need the thing, and it's a pretty tough quest.

So, 'till next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment