What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Machinarium 4: Playing a Game


Well this almost stopped me. OK. I managed to get the previous screens done and advanced to the next area. Here, we're deeper into the city and have discovered a little nightclub area. With musicians!



Musicians on the left, an oil bar on the right

The musicians have issues, and that is the next task. I have managed to solve the problem of the one in the middle, which involved playing an extremely difficult game of 5-in-a-row.

We enter the oil bar on the right, and there we find a patron who has his game set up.


Wanna play?

We need to play because we need five of the playing pieces to solve the problem of the middle musician. However, this game is extremely tough. Extremely tough.


Very, very difficult to win

I will admit that after several dozen tries (I was determined to do it myself!!) I looked up a possible solution. There is a YouTube video that shows you specifically how to do it, but actually your opponent does not always do what the video says he always does. If he starts toward the middle of the board, you're going to lose. So it seems to be a bit randomized. If he starts toward the top of the board then you can win. I finally followed the video, because I really thought I wasn't ever going to win the thing.

My philosophy regarding hints and walkthroughs is that if the game is completely stalled and your frustration level has reached the point that you're not having fun anymore: look it up. 

So I did. Now I'm playing my game again! 

Things are now moving between several screens. By keen observation I was able to solve another puzzle—actually a pretty easy one involving getting some oil for an elderly robot. So now my task is to wander around and observe some more. I've found clues. I just don't quite know what they're telling me yet. So! Tomorrow!

This is a challenging but very sweet game. I love my little robot character.

Next Entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment