What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Lights Out 2: I'm In!


Aha, I made it up the path to the lighthouse! The only way I've ever been able to get there is by just clicking all over until I finally found the path, and that's what I did this time too.


So I'm in. Of course the spooky stuff starts right away. We see a shadow flit by when we first enter. Footsteps run from us. I think some of that has been added, although not all.


But now I'm seeing real differences in the director's cut from the original game. The turn-on-the-light puzzle is much, much easier now. In the original, you had to find a paper in a completely dark corner. If you didn't see the icon telling you to shine your lamp there, you would not have been able to do the puzzle, because it told you how to work the boiler. Then outside on a balcony was another paper, much easier to find, but it had drawings of different ships that you had to decipher in order to learn the order to press some levers that connected to the boiler inside. This time there were no ships. It was exactly the same clue as the other paper, so if you missed one you would find the other pretty easily. Both clues spell absolutely everything out about how to turn on the boiler. Easy peasy. I know that's different, because I suffered over that puzzle when I first played the game.


Also, there are more spooky sounds, and this time we even get to have a conversation with a ghost. If that had happened in the original, I think I would have remembered it. We even get dialogue options in 1912 script. I'm really darned sure this stuff is new.


Which is great! It's exactly why I bought the director's cut.


I saved in James' bedroom. There, the story in the bookcase of "The Bride of Bodwin Moor" has been replaced--in every book--with a part of story explaining what "Fetch" means (it's the Fetch Rock Lighthouse). Much shorter. When I first played I actually read the entire story about the bride, which turned out to have absolutely nothing whatever to do with this story. So this choice is better.


James' Bedroom


My only complaint is that there are no subtitles, and some of the ghostly voices are difficult to understand.


But I am having fun! Till tomorrow!


Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment