What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Friday, June 1, 2012

Avernum 16: Where am I?


Hard to believe that I've been away from my beloved Avernum for two months! Blame it all on Kirkus, which (thankfully) has been burying me in books. I am making $$$, but had to abandon my gaming for awhile.


So now I've carved a few hours of time to play. Good thing I have this blog! I'd have no idea what I did recently in the game without it. 


Fortunately, because it took me so long to get the level three Dispel Barrier spell, I have to go over the whole gaming area to find barriers to dispel that I missed. I've found several, but most interestingly, I found a whole buncha spell books that I either missed or couldn't read when I first found them.


So this excursion has been well worth it. I've been pretty well everywhere except the northern reaches and part of the Great Cave. Will certainly do those before trying too much more in the game. Also, it's helping me remember how to play the game!


However, I'm in the Tower of Magi now, and I know the Blessed Athame (or did I already get that--I think I did) is here somewhere, and the Onyx Scepter. Can't figure out how to get into a restricted area, even though it looks as though I've been there before. Ergo, there is a way in. But not tonight.


One bad thing: I appear to have reached the top levels and can't level up any more. Got a couple of "dings" that mean I've earned more points to spend, but can't spend 'em. I really don't like that. There are plenty more goodies I could get--traits especially--and I can't. 


Phooey.


[Edit: I learned on the Spiderweb Forum that the level 30 problem is normal, intended in the game design. After level 30 you only get skill points every five levels--and then you only get two lousy points!]


But now that I'm back into the game again, I really hope to finish it.


Also, I found that the old Four Fat Chicks Forum is still alive, and have been chatting with a few of the folks I used to know online when we were all adventurers. 


Maybe this blog will get a visitor or two? Maybe even a comment?


Hmmm.


Until tomorrow!


Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment