What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Baldur's Gate 23: Getting a bit Frosty


As of this morning, I was really glad I'd gotten back to the game. Really got caught up in it again.

But today I finally got around to the expansion pack to the original game: Tales of the Sword Coast. I'm less enchanted with this one, despite it's frosty first quest. (Winter is my favorite season.)

Of course the story in the game was completed in the original release. So the expansion pack doesn't do much with it, other than fill in some background on Balduran. Mostly, it's just two smash and grab expeditions. Not really that much going on other than increasingly difficult combat.

The first one confronts us with multiple mages in the frosty north. We slaughter a couple of innocent polar bears (I hate killing bears in this game--I like bears). We slaughter numerous winter wolves. But mostly we slaughter mages. Oddly, the most difficult fight in this first quest comes first. Once that's done Imoen gets to show off her trap finding skills, and we slaughter a few more mages and wolves. Then we go home to absolutely no consequences or discussion.

The second trip, following the sea charts we stole a while back, takes us to Balduran's Island. Balduran is the original Baldur, who built the gate, apparently. Here we have to slaughter increasingly more powerful wearwolves. 

I have reached the final boss, but I just don't feel like tackling him right now. I have enough potions and spells that I ought to be able to make my whole party pretty well invulnerable, so I'll tackle it once I get some housework done tomorrow. Today was an official holiday. I didn't work. I played. Tomorrow is an actual workday, so I will work, then play.

Then I have to chase down a few smaller quests I missed on the island, and after that, it's the endgame of Baldur's Gate I itself.

Wow! I'm nearly done. No doubt the endgame will be about as extensive as this expansion pack, however. Plenty of playing time left to go!

Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment