What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Monday, January 6, 2014

Baldur's Gate 26: Having Some Real Adventuring Phun!


I've been playing but not posting. Have been having some serious fun with the game though! Lots of fighting, as per normal, but some puzzle work too! Neat!

After slaughtering the boss on the werewolf ship, I learned that I had to get out of that area, and it's a timed portion of the game. Had to navigate my way through a maze of tunnels before my party started turning into werewolves and got killed, permanently. Actually I was able to do that without any real difficulty. Once I reached the ship that would take me back to Ulgoth's Beard, where the Tales of the Sword Coast started, I had to kill another greater werewolf, but this time I had not two but three lycanthrope-slaying weapons so she went down pretty easily. Upon returning to town, there's yet another one to slay, and that was even easier.

(Except that--ouch!--apparently I managed also to slaughter an innocent bystander during the melee and my reputation is down from a heroic 20 to an average 10. Oops. But shoot, it's late enough in the game that I don't really need the rep any more. By the time I realized what had happened I didn't want to go back and do it all again.)

But wait! I thought I was through with Tales of the Sword Coast! Not so, in fact. There is one more quest, and it's the big one: Durlag's Tower.

Now I've been reading about Durlag's Tower in the FAQ for months, so I approached it with trepidation. And no doubt, the next several levels of it will be fearful.

But boy howdy am I having fun so far! 

First, I went down instead of up. That got me into a nice riddle with layers reminiscent of good adventures. There were puzzles to solve! 

Actually they weren't difficult, except that the screen is so dark it's really difficult to recognize things. I did fine with turning on the machinery--I mean, it's easy to see that you have an inventory item that's meant to be a quest item. The key, the grapes, etc. are pretty obvious. But I stood right next to the gong I was supposed to hit and didn't see it, and I was looking for it. Also, the mallet head you find doesn't look like any such thing, so it's easy to ignore. 

But I did it with a bit of help from the FAQ. The final battle really wasn't that tough at all, except that I thought it would never start.

After that I went up, which is what you're supposed to do in the first place, and no wonder: the fights are pretty routine and not difficult.

I finished all the upper level stuff, and have descended to the second lower level, which the FAQ says is awful. The guy says he hates this level. We'll see. 

I saved there. Getting busy in my actual life again, so it seemed a good place to stop.

It was PHUN!


No comments:

Post a Comment