What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Friday, January 17, 2014

Baldur's Gate 27: So I Needed a Bit of Instruction


Apparently plenty of folks have had trouble with this, and I did too. On the second lower level of Durlag's Tower we find a room with sparring dummies in it. Now, nothing indicates that you're supposed to hit these things. You can loot them, and you get a blue circle indicating you can talk to them (although they have nothing to say), but hit 'em? No clue.

But that's what you're supposed to do: whack 'em. Whacking 'em opens doors to other rooms that cannot be accessed otherwise--including one that leads to the rest of the entire level.

Fortunately I have the FAQ. It said to hit 'em. I tried. I managed to right click and get a little gray sword icon, but when I clicked it on the dummies my characters just stood there. Nothing.

I googled it. It seems that lots of folks have trouble here. Finally somebody said that you have to whack the floor.

Finally! I whacked the blue circles, and that did it! The door opened and I was able to continue. Whew!

The rest of the level is the usual stuff. Meet enemies, conquer them. Loot the bodies, detect traps, disarm traps, look for more loot.

I am now doing my best to stack my consumables, and am making an effort to use a bunch of it up. Healing potions are everywhere. I can gulp 'em down with abandon. My real problem is all the scrolls. My scroll case is full, as is my potion case. I've got to use that stuff up so I can make some room in my inventories. I'm already dumping out my regular arrows, bolts and bullets. I'm finding so much enhanced stuff that it seems silly to clog up the inventories with mere normal weaponry.

I must say that I'm really enjoying Durlag's Tower. It's got some real atmosphere. You go into lots of nicely furnished rooms. I enjoy that. It isn't just your common dungeon. It has character. Plus, the looting opportunities are extremely nice.

In short, it's more like an adventure game. Probably why I like it, and lots of the regular players of this game don't.

And I've got two more levels to go, after I clear out one more room (according to the FAQ).

More phun ahead! Finally, an episode of Tales of the Sword Coast I can get into!

Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment