What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Avadon The Warborn 5: First Big Attack


So I finally got a seek-and-destroy mission. It was a nice little set-up, requiring good exploration, but what at first seemed as though it was going to be one of Jeff's puzzles wasn't. I had to go investigate a meeting that Avadon's arch-enemy Dheless had with the Khemerians. A nice sage we met earlier turns hostile.

Completing the mission and defeating the shaman involved getting his minions first. The game gives you a good hint about doing that. Pro tip: when Jeff gives you a hint like that, take heed of it. I imagine you could win the fight if you just stormed in there and attacked, but it probably would be much more difficult.

Perhaps the nice sage turning hostile ought to tell me something. Redbeard is insisting that I destroy the village even if it's innocent. Maybe it isn't innocant. Me being me, I do not intend to do wanton destruction if I can avoid it. But Jeff loves his moral dilemmas. So far I'm completely going along with whatever Redbeard wants. 

However, if it comes to wanton destruction, I'm not sure I'm going to do it. I had fun with wanton destruction tonight, anyway!

There were some nice enemies in this, although I was never truly threatened. My health got low a few times but I learned some nice things about new spells: the Shaman has a lovely spell that blesses the ground you stand on, if you stay close enough to him. It constantly regenerates you! Also, as a tinkermage I can make a blessing pylon that gives me a war chant at every turn. Nice indeed. That, in combination with the regeneration field and missile weapons makes the fighting pretty easy. 

There are a few new innovations in this third game of the series. When we are in fight mode, we get a nice little pattern of white dots indicating steps we can take. Also, the secret doors are a bit easier, I think. Clicking on some large jars opens some secret passages, and the red bricks that are the secret buttons actually can be seen pretty easily if you look for them. I will admit, however, that I haven't found as many as I'd like, so I may be wrong about that!

I'm also finding the skill trees a bit easier. I hear that we will reach a cap at level 30 (I hate that), but that Jeff has timed that limit to kick in much more toward the end of the game. Well, there is a lot of game to go before I hit that obstacle.

I hadn't intended to do the whole mission tonight, but once I got started I just kept going. Didn't really take all that long, and it was interesting throughout. 

So, the next step is to take different assistants and check out what they can do! I'm really pleased with the Shaman. Not only does he have the best personality, he has those really nice, nice abilities! Not much of a fighter, but that might develop.

So the next mission is to destroy the village. I will take the option not to do it, if that choice is presented.

Update: Ah, clearly the game isn't ready for you to do the wanton destruction just yet. I met with the enemy and negotiated. The idea was to avoid wanton destruction, but we did get a few areas where we could slaughter some enemies and gain some points. Plus, I now have one really major new quest, and also have to meet with Redbeard again.

But I'm going to set this game aside for a short time, because although I've been waiting a full year for it, I've been waiting a full TEN years for the sequel to Barrow Hill to come out, and it just did!!

And I'm going to play it. See ya later in Cornwall! (And thence, back here to Avadon.)

Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment