What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Saturday, May 12, 2018

Avernum 3-13: Back to the Game!


Now I can get back to having fun! That Golem Factory actually is an optional part of the game because it is so difficult, but who would get a Spiderweb game and then not play all of it? However, on my next playthrough I believe I will skip it.

But it's over now! I got the medal, and am back exploring entirely new territory. I went back to several places and managed to find several level 3 spells that I needed, thanks to the Forum lists. Also, I have cleared up most of my quests, although one or two won't clear. I'll have to ask about that on the Forum. 

But it is lovely just to explore in new places!

Never been here before!

I also finally hit Day 160, and yes, I did get to go and battle demons in the Tower of Magi. Actually it was a bit easier than I had expected. Got a nice spell from it too.

Entering the Tower of Magi to do battle!

We don't get to go through all of the Tower (although perhaps I should have tried). But I was never really severely challenged. I had expected to get a better reward for it, however. There is a level 3 spell that's supposed to be in the Portal Fortress, one of the early towns, in Upper Avernum and I have yet to find the thing.

So! Next I made my way into Blackcrag Fortress. Also, that wasn't difficult, as I had paid a pretty hefty bounty for permission to use the thieve's guild tunnel. There was a Doomguard, but he was the easiest one I've ever encountered. And plus, once you've done it you get to use portals. Whee!

So I was able to meet with the elusive Empress. Here she is:

Yes, she's tiny.

Well, in Spiderweb isometric games, the encounters aren't always all that visually impressive.

Anyway, I am now in Footracer Province battling the alien beasts, which are really pretty tough. I have the blade that does extra damage to these beasts, but when I replace the discipline blade with it I lose a bunch of my battle disciplines, so I'm going to have to see if it's worth it.

I will say that I just finished a battle that aaaalllllmost got me. The beasts ganged up on me and killed both of my spellcasters. Fortunately I used potions to keep Aldous alive, and he has a buncha return life scrolls. Also, I found a fantastic Mage robe, but to get it I had to use speed bursts to outrun quickfire. It got me about half a dozen times before I just barely made it.

So this should be nicely challenging tomorrow! I am still advancing in levels. I've got my fighters at Level 32 and my spellcasters at Level 34. 

Still looking for one more stone circle, which ought to give me a good level 3 spell. I'm betting that it has to be in this area, because it sure isn't anywhere else.

So! Tomorrow! I am having fun again!


Next Entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment