What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Sunday, May 27, 2018

The Longest Journey 5: History Lesson


So my first stop in this new place, which turns out to be a parallel Earth, leads to yet more extremely long dialogue.

Rather cleverly, the game gets April to "understand" the language in the place through a series of unintelligible, but with increasing English words, speeches. Once she learns that she's in a place called "Arcadia," she ventures out into the local city. 

It isn't medieval, but there are medieval elements. Our first stop is the "stalls" in the marketplace. There we find a dancer, a map seller, and a guy running the three-coin monty scam. He has a talking bird. I'm sure we're going to wind up with that bird somehow.

The Marketplace

I want that bird!

From there we go to the docks, where we find an extremely loquacious old sailor who, coincidentally, has lost his talking bird to the conman, and a ship's captain who is going to give us some difficulty.


Shut up already!

This guy needs to change religions.

I must say that so far the puzzles here are much easier than in the previous setting. There are clues, and that's most appreciated. But first the long long dialogue kicks in again. The priest tells April the whole history of the two worlds. And talks and talks and talks.

Fortunately, for those who zone out during all this, the game has a section in the index where you can re-read all of the dialogue. It's a handy feature, and I'm using it.

Well! So I have made my way to the Earth guy who knows Cortez, and it turns out that he last saw Cortez in 1934. That's a nice relevation! So, more mystery!


Brian, from Earth

I stopped there. Now that I've (apparently) earned my way into this area by getting through that too-often ridiculous puzzle outside the theater, I'm looking forward to finding out what's next!

Next Entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment