What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Sunday, May 27, 2018

The Longest Journey 4: Puzzling


Well, I remember now why people abandoned adventure games (still my favorite genre). Sometimes the puzzles are just ridiculous.

OK. Yeah. In an inventory game, generally if you click on everything and try all items with everything, eventually you will find your way through the puzzle. And I really like puzzles that are many-layered. You have to do one thing that leads you to another thing that finally gets you where you need to go.

But sometimes they're just unfair. Here's a subtle hint: if April is in her room, look out the window. Um, no. Don't just look out the window. You have to open the window first.

Now, having done that you will see:


Rubber Ducky

And with that you have a real chance of figuring out at least one thing to do with this scene. If you remember something that you might have missed earlier. And when you think you're done, keep trying things on this screen, because you're not done.

And you also have to solve this puzzle:


You can do it!

Actually I didn't find this one all that difficult, although I had to keep fiddling with it. But you have to figure out how to start.

And then, you have to put together some things you've collected for what appears to be no reason. Just try everything in your inventory on everything else in your inventory. And then figure out where to use it.

I did remember one part of it from when I played this game about 15 years ago. I was so proud of myself that I actually was able to dredge the silly solution up from my memory.


How do you get rid of the detective? I remembered!

This is just part of the getting-into-the-theater puzzle so that you can meet Cortez and get sent off into . . . somewhere.


I'm in!

For a tiny hint, April observed this interesting occurrence the night before: 


A dancing creature!

And this is why I love adventures! It's the imagination. I actually like puzzles, although the complicated get-into-the-theater puzzle really does go too far.

OK, I confess that I went to a walkthrough to get through most of that theater puzzle--especially the ducky and what you eventually do with it. I managed to do pretty well with the alleyway part of the puzzle on my own.

Hunt around and try stuff.

And once we get into the place where Cortez sends us, things do get imaginative:


Traveling through what?

Traveling to where?

Yeppers! So now I'm ready to really get into the journey mentioned in the title. And I do hope it is long, because this really is an outstanding game.

But the puzzles, even though I like puzzles, can be somewhat ridiculous. When logic no longer applies or your progress depends on not missing some tiny thing from a day earlier, they go too far.

The make up for it with imagination though. So I'm ready now for more of that!

Next Entry.


No comments:

Post a Comment