What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Nethergate Resurrection 2: Zoom Zoom!


I am having real fun! I'm zooming along quite nicely. Of course, as I'm so familiar with the game, that's helping, but really a lot of this seems new, simply because I'm taking the time to read the descriptions and dialogue.

First, some stuff in the game that I didn't go over last time. Here's the character screen, where you start:


Which side are you on?



Make changes here for your own party


This is where you get info and build your characters

The story begins:


The background story


You've arrived!

And you find yourself in your quarters in the village of Nethergate:


Home sweet home


Your village. Always walk around the outsides of towns in town mode to find loot!

Tips about playing! You'll be saving your games the really, really old fashioned way, through text documents (don't worry, it's automatic).


Type your game save name

You'll purchase your spells from this guy:


Cormac waits for you here

Click on the spell name.

If you have enough points in each spell category, and enough money to buy the spell, you'll get it. You have to buy for each character so be sure you don't waste it.

Also, to sell stuff, look at the inventory next to the character pictured in the bottom left screen. When you are in trading mode, coins and prices will appear by the inventory items. Just click on those to sell. Warning: you can't get it back, so be careful!

One of my favorite parts of these early Spiderweb games is the secret areas. Early on you'll get a spell called "piercing sight" which will expand the map so you can see secret areas, or you can just do "wall bumping" to find them.


You find a treasure box!

And don't forget to search corpses when you find them (just look at them).


This dead guy might have good armor or coins or even messages!

So far I've finished the goblin pit (well, there are still two areas that I'll have to return to down in the lower caves, and I think I might be strong enough now to get through them). I've done the quest to get the sidthe (pronounced "sheee") contract. I've been trapped by the witches and escaped. I've met the dragon Reptrakos:


Here there be dragons!

I've got my curse removed and I've found some kind of puzzle box in the dragon lair, but I'll have to return to get Sylak's nourishing bowl. I'm not strong enough to get it just yet. I know I can. I did it in my very first playthrough, and it comes in very handy when you're going through Anwyn, the world of the dead, and you can't eat anything you find there. May have to kill Reptrakos, this time, though.

I did make one mistake. I should have added a character to my party before entering the current dungeon I'm in. It would have given her time to build strength, and would have given me another character to carry stuff. I'm currently doing the quest with the Formorians. Now, in all dungeons in Spiderweb games you can go back and back to fetch loot and kill more monsters, anytime you want, except this one. Once you leave the area you can't get back into the Formorian palace. because the portcullis closes. 

The solution is to kill all the Formorians, loot the place and pile it all up just outside the portcullis of the castle. That's still in the area, so you can return to fetch it all. It takes lots of trips. There is lots of loot. But it's incredibly frustrating to expect to go back and get it and then find out that you can't.

So I'm currently in the queen's chamber, and I can easily kill her with Hero of Old and Ravage Life scrolls that I conveniently found earlier in the area. After that I have to wipe out every Formorian in the place. I think I have just enough spell energy potions to do that.

But that's quite a lot of progress so far!

I'm so glad I started this again! I'm having real fun!

Next Entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment