What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Avernum Escape: 10


So I'm back in the swing of the game! I went to the Castle to start the quests in the great cave. Also, I'm now in Dharmon, and have used the hidden boat to get to the prisoner, and to the demons guarding a very nice treasure hiding in the back of the shops.


Oh, and I learned that not only the Arcane Cloak pool, but other places dispense apparently unending goodies. In the Castle, there's a little chapel that gives you Ward of Elements. I asked on the Spiderweb Forum and found out that those aren't the only places, and they're always available.  Of course, once we get those spells for ourselves we don't need them, but they're a great resource for those of us who are still early in the game.


So I've talked with Good King Micah (how nice to have these folks from the early games alive again!) and got the quest to kill Sssss Thsss in the big Slith Island fort. Haven't found the place yet. Before that, I'll do minor quests in the great cave.


I did manage to kill the basilisks as requested by the mayor of Almaria, although only Mycroft survived to finish the deed. Oddly, he seemed to be mostly immune from them. Although he did lose health, they never stunned him.


Also, I have purchased the first level of lightening spray, which is a really important offensive spell. And I've got the first two levels of Dispel Barrier now, of course, so I'm getting to a level where I might be able to actually do some real damage.


Man, I really appreciate the freedom of Avernum, as opposed to the Avadon approach that sends us into defined areas. It's basically the Avadon engine, but add that freedom to wander where you will, make your own decisions about where to attack next, and this game is much more fun. I realize that the restrictions in Avadon probably make the game much easier for new players by keeping the enemies at a mostly equal level to your team, but I think it's better to be able to try places that we can't beat, then come back and win when we're stronger. I gives you more satisfaction.


So, I guess I'll go fight some bandits next!


Update: Fought some bandits, but mostly I just visited towns and forts. Fort Saffron, Gnass, Blosk and Patrick's Tower, where I managed to cure his wife. Dunno where I got the recipe for Graymold Salve. Must have stumbled on it fairly early on. Found the graymold in the basement at Gnass, just by accident, almost. So that saved some time.


But I have abundant quests now!


Gotta read some Kirkus stuff, though, so it may be a few days before I get back to this excellent game!


Next Post

No comments:

Post a Comment