What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Avernum Escape: 13


Despite a ton of trouble with the teleporters in the Crypt of Drath (it was designed that way, actually), I have found Demonslayer! Hooray! The first of the major object quests is complete. 


OK, yeah, I did read most of the awful Kirkus book. Still have 75 pages to go, which I will do as soon as I post this. However, the book is so bad that I took breaks, during which I did some good things in Avernum.


Cleaned out the ogre site, a quest from the Castle. Once again, it was intended to be done much earlier in the game and I was way too strong for these guys, so it didn't take much time. Ha. I did find a really good halbred weapon that no doubt Jeff meant us to use for awhile, but I have much better stuff equipped already, so I just tossed it into the junk bag. (Gad, I love that junk bag! Gotta start using some of my stuff, though, or junk it, because my inventories are getting crammed.)


After that I got the password for Solberg's hidden tower and went to see him. Conversed with Cheeseball the Cat--another recurring character. I realized where the second Demonslayer part was--some demons in the Nepharim fort still needed slaughtering. Not tough. Got it. I thought I might be able to get through those barriers on the little slith island fort, but nope. However, there I was in my boat, so I went exploring on the lake. Found a couple of really good items in out of the way places--just had to fight some serious baddies to get 'em. Then found that I could take my boat down a waterfall, which took me right outside the Crypt of Drath. However, unless I can get back to the top (I think I can somehow because the area was obviously the end of the waterfall warren) I have left my boat in a fairly inaccessible location, dammit. Well, I'll try to get it back. Now that I have Demonslayer, it would be a good idea to go for the Orb of Thralni, which is another major object quest.


I had to look up the solution on the Spiderweb Forum for the teleporters in the Crypt of Drath. I just kept going around and around, fighting golems and using up my spell energy. One good idea from the forum: drop different kinds of food in the teleporter rooms to identify which one you're in. 


Fortunately after I got through the teleporter puzzle I did check both wall switches, and found some really good buffs for the Drath fight. Really good.


I chose the option to let Drath go rather than kill him. Probably stupid. I could have killed him. I imagine I'll get dinged for that choice in the endgame narrative.


But I have Demonslayer! This takes me to about the middle of the game, I think. I still need the Orb, Smite (to kill giants), and the Onyx Scepter. I have the crystal key that lets me in to kill the Haaki, which is one of the three major quests in the game.


And I'm strong enough now to have a decent chance against most foes. I still don't have the last tier of spells, though, for either Cordelia or Mycroft (I got used to those names in earlier games and I've stuck with them. Cordelia is my priest, and she's third in line, and Mycroft is my mage, in the back of the pack. Thank you Jeff for letting me customize those, even though I'm "customizing" them to the earlier standard issue party roster.)


And now, finish Kirkus for the month! (And, I see that Mikael Nyqvist has a new game out! Amber's Blood. I'll wait for that to show up as an Amazon download, because my sis gave me some Amazon gift cards for Xmas. Thanks Sis!)


Next Post

No comments:

Post a Comment