What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Friday, February 17, 2012

Avernum Escape: 11


Spent far too much time on this game today, mostly wandering around the Great Cave. I have visited every town and fort therein, and have collected far, far too many quests.


I did clean out a nasty bandit cave by being clever (I'm usually not terribly clever in these games--I'm an experienced player, but not a good one). I ran into bandits with about three too many mages, and they wiped me out twice. However, this was in a dungeon, so I had a place to hide. Finally I lured just two or three of them out to attack me at a time, and knocked those off before luring some more to come and attack me. Even those were tough. No way could I take them on all at once. 


But once I slaughtered the minions, I was able to take on the leader of the bandits without too much trouble, although she was tough! After that I had to deal with some of those nasty rats, and some slimes that multiply when you kill 'em. Got those on my second try, got a good spell, and had to leave one "book" that says I need to figure out how to read it.


So I'd better remember that's there--along with various barriers I can't yet dispel.


Looked over my spells and realized that I had been selling some collectables. The "fine meal" quest is just for regular meal. The "cheap wine" quest is just for regular wine. In the original game this stuff was labeled as "fine meal" and "cheap wine." Also I have to keep the iron bars. All this stuff fetches better prices from various characters than just selling it in your junk bag. Alas, I've already sold way, way too many bags of meal and iron bars, dammit. Ah well. I'll find lots more. At least they're stackable.


But my goodness, I sure have found lots to do! And in this game the world map has the quest locations marked, unlike in earlier games. Yeah, it does make things easier, but I rather liked the pure adventure of finding the stuff on my own. 'Course, I remember the locations of lots of this stuff anyway.


However, I've just got to slog my way through a rather dull Kirkus book I've got right now, so I doubt I'll do much in the game tomorrow.


Next Post

No comments:

Post a Comment