What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Avernum Escape: 12


And at last I have found the teleporter in the Tower of Magi.


Played for far, far too long today. I opened the game just to look at my quest list, and wound up playing all afternoon and part of the evening.


However, I did lots of stuff! A couple of days ago I cleared out that small Slith fort behind Fort Emerald (where I found another Arcane Cloak buff). Then went to the scree piles hunting ghosties, and found an Empire outpost, and the Crypt of Drath. Can't quite get to Drath yet, although I cleaned out most of the crypt. I need to go back to Motrax to find a marble key.


However, it turns out there's a way into the Abyss from the scree piles, so I went there, scoped out Spire and Bharga and joined the Scimitar, which entailed going back to the Empire outpost and smashing their globe, making me fight some demonic constructs. Tough guys, but I'm tougher now.


I started working on the Gremlin warren, but lost interest as I remember that's quite a maze, and I wasn't in the mood. So I got back in my boat and made my way, finally, to Mertis. Well I should have gone there early. It's intended for a weaker party (and normally I would have gone there instead of to the great cave, but I got caught up in all those Slith forts with that original Arcane Cloak buff I found, so I built up my strength that way. 


Of course, that meant that the Spiral Pit was a piece o' cake. Only thing difficult about it is when you lose your light in the twisty little passages, all alike. But I was much stronger than the baddies there, although the final fight did make me heal once or twice.


So by the time I got to the Tower of Magi I had almost 8,500 coins! That meant I was able to get a whole lotta spells, although I still need the bottom tier of spells for both my spellcasters. But I have advanced the plot considerably, now.


I note that my second fighter has all the battle skills already, while Aldous doesn't yet. She was dying a lot, so I buffed up a buncha her skills, like hardiness and parry, etc. Have to do the same for Aldous now. It helped her lots. She's as tough as he is now--and that's how you get the battle disciplines. Pretty soon I'll have to build a few up for my spellcasters.


So that took way too long but was plenty of fun! Tomorrow I'll just have to spend my my latest (awful) Kirkus book. Just couldn't face the thing today, and when I read a few more chapters in it, yep, it's awful.


So, till whenever! (And I do think this is Jeff's best game yet!)


Next Post

No comments:

Post a Comment