What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Monday, February 6, 2012

Avernum Escape: 8



Well the Arcane Cloak worked! It makes all your spells more powerful. I did have to try the battle at the Island fort twice, but the second time I changed my battle plan. I positioned my weak clerics back where it was less likely they'd get eaten by the slimes that attack, even though it puts them in line to the battle. The slimes are more dangerous to them than the regular battle. I also remembered to use some of the many wands and scrolls I've collected--I had two lightening scrolls and one more charge on my Wand of Death. That really helped.


That did the trick. Oddly, there wasn't much of a reward. It was a Slith spear, but I already have a better one.


Now I have a bit of a problem. This Arcane Cloak stays until I enter a town. Ergo, I have to go adventuring until I run out of spell energy.


So I ventured into the Slith temple area. Fortunately, Jeff had the attacks come in small groups. You don't get swarmed. I was able to clear out the whole bottom floor, and that included a summoned demonette (not strong, compared to later demons I know I'll encounter). 


I decided not to do the second floor, as I remember that's pretty daunting from the original game. Instead I went off to try to clear out some Slith settlements, but they did swarm me, so I'll have to save those for later.


I am, obviously, saving the game at virtually every step.


Well I've still got my Arcane Cloak, though. 


I think I will try the second floor of the temple. After that there's another Slith settlement that appears to be the object of a quest.


I mean, I might as well try it as long as I've got this major supernatural power going for me. Arcane Cloak is a spell that you get much later in the game. Stupid not to use it until I just can't do any more.


So, tomorrow!


Next Post

No comments:

Post a Comment