What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Monday, June 10, 2013

Baldur's Gate 4: Fighting Monsters!



Wow! So I'm playing with Ajantis in the lead and I'm really liking him. His automatic responses to my clicks are far, far less annoying than Emerald's. My difficulty with him is that he doesn't have any ranged attacks, he always uses a sword, and that leaves him vulnerable even with the plate mail I got for him. I also stole Kagian's really nice helmet and gave it to him. 

The game uses "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons" rules for all of these statistics. Complicated stuff! I understand why so many folks enjoyed playing that game decades ago, before they were available on computers.

However, we've had some good fights. The enemies are getting tougher, as they should. This time I even killed a couple of dire wolves! I'll have to go back to the Temple area and try that again now that I'm stronger. But my spellcasters are stronger now too, at level two, so that gives them more spells per day. I'm really liking the Sleep spell. Everybody's leveled up, and Emerald ought to hit level three tomorrow. 

Of course, eventually I'll give both Emerald and Imoen dual roles ad mages (only humans can do that), but the FAQs all say not to do it before the characters reach level nine. You lose all your advances in your other levels until you also hit level nine as a mage, and then you get them all back, but you can't advance in your original role. Hence, waiting until level nine gives you good fighting stuff while you continue to advance in your magery.

My reputation is now at 15, which is really good, and you can get as high as 20. With Ajantis's charisma and such a good rep, prices for equipment will be lots lower.

I have to admit that I'm not really missing Kagian, but I'll welcome him back in a playthrough with an evil party, heh heh. He's fun.

So, tomorrow I'll attack the Gnoll stronghold. Should be lots of experience points there!

Next Entry


No comments:

Post a Comment