What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Baldur's Gate 10: Try it Again



So I read the FAQ and realized that because I didn't loot the body of the boss in my first Nashkell Mines quest, I missed out on a couple of good magical items, especially a ring that gives my Druid an extra spell per level! That was too important to miss. Also, I wasn't happy with how tough I found everything in that wilderness area outside of the mines.

So, I reloaded my old savegame, fortunately after I'd cleared out level three of the mine, but had not yet vanquished the boss. I did it again, and this time used some strategy. Had far less trouble, and remembered to loot the guy. Not only did I get the letters and the ring, but some nice boots too. I'm still looking for a few pairs of magical boots for my party.

I also rested in the boss's lair, apparently the only safe place to rest in the mines. So I was charged up and ready for the wilderness area this time.

After that I redid the wilderness area. First I tackled the really tough fight, the bounty hunter. I gulped down some potions as my first act in that fight, and although it was still a tough fight, only Kivan and Jaheira took any real damage. Everybody else was pretty well protected. I got off more spells because I gave Neera a potion of speed. Had to pay attention to it, but I think it helped a lot.

I healed up Kivan and Jaheira, and marched off to the west side of the map, looking for the tombs. This time I knew there were three, not just one. Plus, the first one you find says there are three. It did take awhile to find all of them, as one was on the right side of the map, but I dispatched the revenants in short order and looted everything of the good stuff there. Plus, I realized that I could rest in the tombs. That worked nicely.


Three tombs. They're not this close together on the map. Great for sleeping!

The only really tough fight after that was the mage with the poisonous slimes. I tried a different strategy this time: I hit the mage with plenty of fire power and took him out early. The slimes are immune to most attacks, including magic ones. So I bunched up on them and took 'em out with melee attacks, which were the only things that worked. It took quite awhile to get 'em, but being up close they couldn't spit their poison out at me. I actually got out of that unwounded. 

After that it was just the usual skeletons and a few gnolls and some war dogs. Took those out and cleared out the whole area. Nice!

Back to Naskell. I identified all this good stuff and divvied it up amongst my party. Only mistake I made was taking the bounty for the emeralds, then unfortunately hit the wrong button and quicksaved instead of reloading, so I'll have to wait for my next game to find out if I got more money from the bounty than the emeralds would have brought. Still, after selling a buncha short swords + 1 and other items I don't need, I have almost 13,000 coins again! Nearly enough for Neera's mage robe.

Also, I sorted through all the scrolls and found a dispel magic, plus some other good level three spells for Neera. She can't cast them until she gets another level (the Google machine says you have to reach level five to cast level three spells . . . whatever . . .), but I've got 'em.  Also got some good potions that should protect from magic when I really need it.

All in all, that was well worth the replay!  I learned much more about fighting and using the stuff I've got. That's always been my downfall in my Avernum games. I collect all this good stuff and never use it. Use it! You're gonna find it all the way through the game. No point in hoarding it (although you don't want to use your major potions on just anyone). 

Tomorrow I will continue with the regular questing (not Neera's wild mage quest--I can't do that one just yet).

Onward!

Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment