What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Baldur's Gate 9: Easy Peasy, and then . . . Not



So I did the Nashkell Mines, and indeed it was easy peasy. I did spring some traps, but I quicksave a lot so I was able to go back and fix that. You don't get hurt very badly when you spring one, at least not there. At any rate, I've got Imoen up to 100% trap detection thanks to the FAQ, and she was able to find most of them.

As expected, the mine quest was a snap. You're really supposed to do that around level two, but I'm at four. Made one mistake. The dialogue said the "letters" were in the chest when I found the bad guy. Alas, in the Enhanced Edition they're on the guy's body. I spared him in the dialogue, but apparently he gets killed anyway during the battle. Got great loot out of the chest, but didn't take the letters. Went back to get them later. The body was gone, but the letters were still there, enabling me to complete the quest and therefore the chapter. Well that would have been awful game design if they let us make that mistake.

I also found a back way out of the mines, but you can't get back in that way if you take it. Fortunately I quicksaved just before going through it. Once I finished the quest, though (or thought I had), I went out into this new area. There I encountered another bounty hunter, the most powerful one so far. This was quite a battle and Kivan got pretty badly wounded, but I won it. Got more plate mail out of that, and some really nifty magical weapons and plenty of magic scrolls. Worth the fight!

After returning to the mines to get the letters I took that "door" again and had some fun stuff, but one battle I couldn't win against a mage creating slimes. Fortunately I'd quicksaved just before I met him, so I circled the area and left him alone in the middle. Did have a nice battle with some skeletons and a "revenant" in a cave. Guy passing by said to return the dagger. I did, killed the revenant and got excellent stuff from his tombs.

Yes, we always rob tombs in these RPGs. We rob everybody, if we can, especially in the beginning when we need the cash.

Alas, I think I must have sold "Jospeh's" greenstone ring, so I can't complete that quest. Probably put it in Imoen's gem bag (a very handy item that keeps your inventory unclogged. I've also got a scroll case and a potion carrier.) I went back to look for it but it seems to be gone. That's what you get for waiting so long to do the quest, you forget the minor stuff.

Slept and slept until Neera got everything identified. Sold lots of good stuff. I already have short swords +1, and you get a pretty penny for stuff like that. So now with the reward finally in hand for the Mines quest, I've got over 11,400 coins. 

But after that I went to the new area that Neera had talked about, looking for the other wild mage. That took me to a fun little area populated with goblins. One took me to the master guy, who attacked me. I didn't have much trouble with him. Used my new web spell.

However, after that, we get into a battle with several nasty mages, and I got slaughtered. Clearly, I'm not ready for this area yet. Loaded the autosave game and got back on the proper path, back to Beregorst.

I mean, I got eaten alive.

I must hie myself to High Hedge and buy a dispel magic scroll. I've had magic used on me three times tonight, with no defense. Ajantis got charmed in the final Mines battle and attacked Imoen. The bounty hunter got me somehow too, and the nasty mages in that new area just controlled me completely. So, I've got to learn how to deal with that.

All in all, a productive two nights! But the game, as it should, is getting tougher. So are my little characters, but I need to learn strategy.

Till tomorrow!

Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment