What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Friday, June 14, 2013

Baldur's Gate 7: Gnolls! And Spells!



At last I have conquered the Gnoll Stronghold. Actually it really wasn't that tough. Yes, the Gnolls looked quite nasty indeed, but they fell to my Sleep spell like little babies. Once asleep, I slaughtered them rather easily.

So I found Dynaheir, the mage the guy on the videos likes so much. I looked at her spells. Practically nothing. Neera already has much more. Yes, she's annoying, but she's good aligned and, I learned from the Google machine, because Neera is a Wild Mage she isn't limited to any mage school. She can cast anything. That makes her more valuable.

Plus, she can cast Sleep, and Dynaheir can't. Ergo, I decided to keep the silly little thing. 

At some point I do want to try her Chaos spell just to see what might happen. The Google folks thought that the random stuff that occasionally happened was quite entertaining. There. My FAQ guy obviously only looked at her stats and decided he hated her. He hasn't tried playing with her at all. Betcha.

So! After the Gnoll stronghold, I found another area just south of Naskell, the one with the waterfall. I have to fish out a poor dead cat, but the little girl says her daddy can just bring it back from the dead again, so it's all fine. Also ran into a dryad who gave me a nice reward for saving a couple of trees from some louts. I got some nice weapons from the louts.

Mostly, though, I struck serious good luck. One of the monsters I slaughtered had the coveted Knock spell. The FAQ guy keeps saying to just use Knock to open locked stuff, but I looked it up. You can't buy it until you get to Baldur's Gate, which happens late in the game, I believe. He says it's really really lucky to get the scroll from a victim.

Even better, I scored the Gauntlets of Dexterity (called something else in the game, but they ought to be called "Gauntlets of Dexterity"). I put those on Ajantis and gave him the Ring of the Princes (Protection) as well, and the Girdle of Bluntness (saves from crushing hits). I now have made him into a serious tank. The guy's indestructible. Doesn't need ranged weapons unless he's just too far away from the enemy to stab it. Also, because of my incredible luck in creating my character, Emerald is pretty well a serious tank too.

And I'm now at 20 reputation, which is the highest you can get. I know this because I got another two more reputation points and it wouldn't go over 20. The Google machine says that evil characters will leave the party when you reach that level, and that you get a 50% (half!) discount when shopping. So, Kagain would have left me anyway. I did right by replacing him with Ajantis.

So tomorrow, I'm off to make some money. I've turned in two winter wolf pelts for $1000, sold one of the lout's hatchets for another grand, and now I've got the Knock spell! 

Serious money ahead. Then perhaps I can get one of those lovely mage's robes, and maybe even the Dagger of Venom.

Yum.

Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment