What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Let's Play Computer Games!

[First published May 31, 2010]
Hello world!

After no success with a website (can't figure out how to add any content), this blog seemed easier and far cheaper.

I enjoy computer games, especially adventure games and a few RPGs, and used to review them as "Enigma" for the Four Fat Chicks website (now changed, but still has the FFC review archives). As I'm not reviewing any longer, I had the idea about blogging my progress and thoughts through various games. Most likely there will be spoilers, but I will identify those and try to hide them. Will anyone be interested? Who knows?

My preferences for games are those by independent developers. These intrepid folks usually work alone, allowing themselves unhindered imagination. I find that indie games are more fun, more interesting, more involving, and usually much better than games made by ginormous bottom-line, often bottom-feeding corporate developers. Favorite indie developers are Jonathan Boakes at Darkling Room, Jeff Vogel at Spiderweb Software, Mikael & Eleen Nyqvist at MDNA Games, and Matt Clark at Shadow Tor Studios.



This week I'm finishing up the final installment of the wonderful Avernum series by Spiderweb Software. Jeff Vogel has been making these in his Seattle basement since 1996, employing unbridled imagination and a pervasive sense of ironic humor. I discovered him through his only commercial disaster: Nethergate. Hey, it was historical, so I had to try it! I'd never played an RPG before, as I'm just not into smashing things. See my 
review of Nethergate to find out what changed my mind about RPGs.

Actually I'd just reached the endgame of Avernum VI when my hard disc crashed. I saved 95% of my data, but not my Avernum VI saved games. I started over, but not before I consulted the forum at Spiderweb for advice on how to build a better party. The replay was almost as much fun, and certainly easier with the stronger party of my four little soldiers.

Actually I have finished the game, but I want to go back and do some alternate endings. I've done the simple ending. Now I need to do the evil wizard, then the powerful dragon, then perhaps pit both of those against each other. I still need to kill the dragon, which I understand is difficult but possible (especially with the little cheat I learned about on the forum!).

After Avernum (sob, moan, how I've enjoyed them!) it's on to Lost Souls from Boakes, who I think is by far the best adventure game developer around today.

No comments:

Post a Comment