What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Lost Souls (7): Back to the Game!

[First published July 8, 2010]
Oh dear. I thought I was in.

Alas, I'm only in the highly unpleasant dining room. This appears to be Mr. Bones' domain. It has his revised Station Hotel menus all around. Mostly these are unreadable, but I'll have to take a closer look.

Yes, it's taken me far longer to get back to the game than I thought. I finished my Kirkus job (for now) but then got distracted by an absorbing book I found for my Kindle. Read that for several days. Finished another I'd started and made progress in one other (am doing a sort of unit on Saxon England, reading about King Alfred. All of this was inspired by Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Series that I've been reading to Dad. Well, it least it fits in a bit with the Lost Crown.)

I think, though, that I was just scared to start again.

Moving through the dining room we get to the door into the hotel, which yields nothing (except another book inventory item, and Station Hotel cards with the phone number obliterated). Bash on the door and it doesn't open. Next puzzle--getting that door open. Do I have to call the ghosts with Mr. Bone's game to get in?

Also, I've yet to find a sissors cache. In one sense I'm optimistic about that: perhaps nothing will attack me until I find a weapon.

I did find a nice cache of Amy's things above in the rafters. There's a clue there for a puzzle having to do with shaking the bones. It's can #15, on a table right there in the dining room, and I'm playing the tape recording before shaking, as appears to be indicated by Amy's clue. So far I come up with three patterns of bones: a seemingly random, straight pattern, a circular pattern, and the pattern we see all over the walls--the Darkfall symbol from the first game. I surmise that solving this puzzle will get me into the hotel proper, but so far, no go. I now have a total of five bones in my inventory and have tried to place them, both before and after, into the bones on the table. So far the game won't let me. I also have four cards from Amy that I can pick up on occasion, but so far can't fit them into the puzzle.

Hmmm. The number 15. Do I need 15 bones in all to make the puzzle work? I must count them.

I learned one thing about the game while I was out, so to speak. No, it wasn't my Mac that was the cause of the technical glitch in piecing together the newspaper jigsaw puzzles. A review of the game mentions that glitch. So it's something that Jonathan needs to fix with a patch. I've found three of these puzzles so far, and this has happened on all three. I'm being more careful now, and trying not to allow my cursor to get over to the left-hand side of the screen.

Also, as it happens, It was easily possible to get into the dining room, at least, right after turning on the lights. The only needful thing was to go into the Ladies room, confront the "ghost" in the stall, and put together the newspaper. However, Jonathan distracts us with that ringing telephone, which takes us into the waiting room and gets us involved in that Station Master's office puzzle.

Well, at least we have that done.

Clearly, however, I'm not done with the turn-on-the-lights-and-get-in puzzle.

Yet.

I must think.



Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment